I’ve written about exercise for lucky ladies who build muscle easily to prevent bulking up, to lean out and tone up. Now, I’ll go into balancing major food groups to enhance your results. The combination of food intake and working out for Cherry’s body type helped her to achieve a more streamlined figure, so if this is what you’re after, I hope it helps you.
This may not have happened to you, but it happened to Cherry. Because she was doing heavy duty exercises previously, such as body pump, Crossfit, planking and spinning (yup, up to 2 hours daily at the gym), she followed popular advice about eating for energy. What foods provide the most energy? Carbohydrates.
That’s not to say that what Cherry followed isn’t correct; it is. Carbs are necessary for our daily living and, without them, we feel tired more easily. The main thing is to get the balance of major food groups right for our different body types and our health goals. So I’ll share what Cherry and I did for hers.
Because Cherry was pushing her body so much, she ate more carbohydrates. This is the right balance but it didn’t give her the results she wanted – she built more muscle and got bulky when she’d hoped to get lean. When I got her to do more aerobic activity (70% to 80% of her workout) and light resistance exercise (the remaining 20% to 30%), we switched her major food groups to complement the exercise changes.
With lighter exercises but more repetitions, Cherry didn’t need as much energy. So this was what I suggested: her veggies and her carbs should be in equal portions and, combined together, should equal her protein. What does this mean? Say you have a beautiful fresh salmon steak. Your rice should be half the size of it, and your veggies the remaining half. Don’t change your meal size and don’t increase it. Just switch to the following:
#1 Rice/potatoes/fruit (carbs) quantity = your veggies; and
#2 Carbs + veggies = your protein.
This combination worked for Cherry. She managed to lean out quite a fair bit and went down from an Asian size XL to S. I hope it helps. If you’re still not getting the results you want, do let me know and we can try to work together to achieve the right balance for you.